mercredi 18 juin 2014

On Rumi and Mystic love

Who is Rumi?

You surely came across one of his quotes and probably shared it without giving much attention or asking the question “who is Rumi?”

Rumi is Jallalu eddine Mohammed  Rumi  or Simply Mawlana Rumi who is a Sufi Mystic  and Poet of the 13th Century , this is only a mundane , Lame presentation ! There is so much to Rumi than what people associate him with; that’s to say that he is a Scholar , a Sufi , a Poet , a teacher, a lover , a believer   but  certainly not your average believer or lover .

A lot of Highly accredited Scholars worked on translating his works from Persian to Arabic, French, English  among other  languages …




 When we decide to talk about something we  love , words sound so futile and meaningless no matter how much comparative and superlative adjective we use . Rumi takes me beyond this world of visible matter and into the void then into the wholeness, most of his poems are love poems but they are by no mean like  the sappy love  poems of Donne . Let’s not go into that now ! ( i m trying to compare the incomparable which doesn't seem legitimate  but for the fun of it  lol )

Reading and listening  to  Rumi’s Poetry is a  task I m committed  to on a daily basis , I listen to it while studying to ease my mind , I listen to it when I want to go to bed , I listen to it when I m chilling   ; I listen to it anywhere at anytime . and I read it whenever I have the chance to hold a book that has Rumi’s poems in it .

I have recently received the Translation of Coleman Barks  of  “Essential Rumi / Selected Poems  of Rumi “ , it was given to me as a Gift  by someone I cherish . I was beyond happy to receive such a gift, I m blessed to have such people around me .

Rumi don’t like labels which is  something I totally approve of .
Here is something he wrote concerning this subject matter :



Not Christian or Jew or Muslim

not Hindu,Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen.

Not any religion


or cultural system. I am
not from the east
or the west, not
out of the ocean or up


from the ground, not
natural or ethereal, not
composed of elements at all.
I do not exist,

am not an entity in this

world or the next.



i will leave you with this link to enjoy some of his Poetry Read by Madonna and several other artists and lovers 

4 commentaires: